HAPPY BIRTHDAY Glitter Spice! Today is the one-year anniversary of glitterspice.com, I can’t believe that I have been blogging for a year already!!! I wanted to do something nice for Glitter on her Birthday, so I have decided to start her a Facebook Page! Go check it out HERE and don’t forget to like it! In addition to starting a Glitter Spice Facebook page, I decided to share a lasagna recipe or is it a lasagne recipe! I prefer to spell it lasagne so that I can then say the word “La-Sag-Nee” over and over again to myself while I am cooking :). Words get stuck in my head for days, just the way songs do. If that word is going to hang out for a few days, I prefer it to be a fun word to say. So as a result, I decided to share a lasagne recipe with you in honor of Glitter Spice’s Birthday. 🙂
It has been chilly in NYC, and I have been craving all things soupy, cheesy and comforting. Most of the time the cheesy and the comforting things leave me feeling kind of gross after. Boooooo! So with this recipe I decided to keep the cheese, just lighten it up a bit and get rid of the noodles. I love cheese way too much to get rid of it, so the noodles had to go! I was pleasantly surprised, this noodle free lasagna can hold her own…so don’t knock it until you try it! Now let’s make some La-Sag-Nee!
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 1/2 Bag of Quorn Crumbles or 1 LB of Protein of Choice
- 1 15oz Can Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 3 TBS Tomato Paste
- 3 TBS Italian Spice Blend
- 1 Tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper
- 4 Cloves Garlic, diced
- 1 LB of Zucchini and/or Yellow Squash, cut into thin medallion rounds
- 1/2 C Goat Cheese or Skim Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 C Greek Yogurt
- 1 Head Broccoli, roughly chopped
- 6 Stalks Curly Kale, leaves removed from stems
- 1 Egg
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the diced onions. Sauté on medium-high until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add your protein of choice, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, salt, pepper, and diced garlic. Continue to cook all ingredients until the protein is cooked through. Set the sauce aside when done.
- In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese or mozzarella, greek yogurt, broccoli pieces, and egg. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of an 8 x 8 or 13 x 9 deep baking dish (depends on how thick you want your lasagna to be). Place a layer of zucchini and squash rounds evenly across the bottom, making a squash liner of sorts.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce on top of the zucchini. Top that with some of the broccoli and yogurt mixture. Top that with a thin layer of kale leaves (place the leaves flat). Continue with this layering process until you have used all of your ingredients.
- Top the entire dish with more shredded cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Broil the last few minutes if the cheese on the top is not a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. This is a key step for this recipe and it is where your patience comes into play. If you don’t wait, you will end up with noodle free lasagna soup. Do it for the cheese and let the La-Sag-Nee hang out for 10 mins.
- After you have patiently waited, cut it into pieces, use a spatula to get it onto your plate and top that beautiful noodle free lasagna with some fresh parmesan. You can never have too much cheese 😉 Enjoy your La-Sag-Nee!!!
*Note ~ I just really enjoy the Quorn Grounds for this recipe, (I am not sponsored by them); feel free to use any veggie friendly or meat protein that you prefer and let me know how it turns out! Also make this recipe paleo, by leaving out the cheese and the yogurt. Use a nut based cheese instead.