We spent Thanksgiving in Florida, and we were so excited to spend a week in the warm weather swimming, visiting with family and getting a little sunshine. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had a different plan and decided to have the coldest weather that Florida has seen since February…Bah! Of course, I only brought sun dresses and one pair of jeans…let’s just say that my jeans were well-loved by the end of the trip. We always go to Clearwater Beach no matter what the temperature is, because I love to twinkle my toes in the powder sugar sand and shop at all of the rainbow umbrella vendors along the boardwalk.
We also made it to the chilly beach just to twinkle our toes in the sand a bit…
I tried so hard to eat healthy over the Thanksgiving holiday, but the weather was bad and that meant we had more time to cook a bunch of delicious things. All of the traveling and all of the holiday goodies definitely got the best of me.
Since we have gotten back from Florida, I have been craving all things cheesy and carby…FAIL. All I want to do is eat pizza and pasta, but instead of making the gooiest spaghetti dish that I can come up with. I decided to lighten it up a bit and make a spaghetti squash bake. I totally forgot about this dish until my friend Danielle asked me why it was not up on my blog. So this one is for her. 😉 Spaghetti Squash can be a bit watery, which is why I originally did not like it. When you bake it the squash dries out a bit, this makes me a happy camper. The cheese, which is also my friend will help some of the most discriminating spaghetti squash folks enjoy this dish.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 Bag Quorn Grounds or protein of choice
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Zucchini, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cups of your Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese – as much as your little heart desires
- Heat up 1/2 TBS olive oil and sauté your veggies, garlic and Quorn Grounds (or protein of choice) for 3-5 mins. Set aside.
- I like to make these in individual bowls, so that I can just throw them into the oven and serve. If you don’t have any bowls that are oven safe you can always make this in an 8 x 8″ baking dish.
- Spray whatever dish you are using to make your baked spaghetti squash with a little cooking spray. Cover the bottom of you baking dish with a layer of spaghetti sauce, followed by a layer of spaghetti squash, a layer of the veggies and protein, another layer of sauce and cover that with cheese. Continue this layering process until you are out of ingredients or your baking dish is full. I like to top my dish with more sauce, some mozzarella cheese and some Italian seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 30 mins or until you dish starts to bubble. If your cheese is not toasty brown on the top after 30 mins in the oven, throw it under the broiler on high for a minute or two.
- Remove it from the oven and let it hang out with itself for about 5 minutes so that it can cool off a bit and settle. Then serve with some Parmesan and crushed red pepper…
*Note~ If you bake it in individual bowls, make sure to warn your guests ahead of time. Also leave out the Quorn crumbles to make it gluten free and leave out the cheese to make it Paleo or vegan.*