It is Taco Tuesday again, how are you going to celebrate? Derika is traveling so I am treating myself to margarita happy hour with a friend. Last week I made a killer enchilada sauce, no more canned enchilada sauce for this girl. With that sauce I made this epic veggie enchilada casserole. This dish would be great for a Taco Tuesday or a Cinco de Mayo party. I can’t believe that Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner! Get out your beads, your sombreros and your tequila…. ¡Arriba! You could make this casserole a day or two before your fiesta, and throw it in the oven as your guests are arriving. This dish will make you the belle of your Cinco de Drinko party, and it will leave you with more time to focus on your mad margarita skills. Winning!
- 1 Tsp. Ghee/Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 Small Green Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 Zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 Head Broccoli, chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Jalapeno, diced and seeded
- 2 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese/Sassy Sauce to make it vegan
- Corn Tortillas
- Refried Beans
- 2 Cups Red Enchilada Sauce
- Pico de Gallo, Cilantro, Avocado, and Greek Yogurt for topping
1. Heat the ghee in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion, peppers, broccoli, zucchini and sprinkle with chili powder and cumin. Sauté the veggies for 5 minutes, remove and set aside.
2. Sprinkle the roasted veggies with a little bit of salt and toss to coat.
3. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Cut the tortillas into thin strips.
5. Put the refried beans in a bowl and mix with a little bit of water to make them easier to spread.
6. Spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Layer in order: half of the tortilla strips, ALL the beans, half of the veggies, half of the sauce, half of the cheese. Cover with the other half of the tortilla strips, veggies, sauce, and cheese.
*Note – If you want to eliminate the cheese, spread a thin layer of sassy sauce onto one side of the tortillas before you layer them into the casserole. I did this and still added cheese and the results were epic!
Serve your casserole with pico de gallo, hot sauce, guacamole, fresh cilantro, greek yogurt, or anything else that your little heart desires.