Happy Halloween!!! I cannot believe that tomorrow is November 1st, and that Derika and I have been living in NYC for 2 months already…where has the year gone!? The weather is starting to get chilly in NYC, and it is really starting to make me miss sunny San Diego and the amazing farmer’s markets that happen all year there.
When Derika and I lived in San Diego, we use to go to the farmer’s market twice a week to pick up this green smoothie call the GreenFix. We were totally addicted, so much in fact that this addiction was costing us about $50 a week! This little habit is what led us to buy a Vitamix We figured that with the amount that we were spending every week on GreenFix, we could use that towards paying for a Vitamix. I am so happy we did. I make a batch of green smoothies about twice a week. It will last about 4-5 days in your fridge, but don’t worry about that because just like homemade almond milk, it won’t last that long. We usually drink a big glass of green smoothie in the morning and during the day if we are feeling snacky. My recipe seems to change a little every week depending on what greens are in season and on sale.
*Note – the quantities below are rough estimates*
- 6 Stems of Curly Kale
- A Fistful of Spinach
- A Fistful of Parsley
- 4 Stems Dandelion Greens or Collard Greens
- 2 Leaves of Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Apple, minus the core
- 1 Banana, peeled
- Purified Water, I use my Brita
1. Wash all of your produce and place all of the ingredients listed above in you amazing Vitamix.
2. Once you have your ingredients in the blender, fill it halfway with purified water.
3. Put the lid on the blender, turn it on at the lowest setting slowly working your way up to top speed. Let it blend for 1 to 1.5 minutes.
4. Once your smoothie is done blending, transfer it to a container for storage. I use an old glass milk jug.
You smoothie is ready to enjoy. Now if you want to get sassy, and really impress the heck out of yourself. Pour yourself a glass of green smoothie, add a splash of homemade almond milk and a splash of O.N.E. Coconut Water(my favorite)…oh my god so good!
Enjoy and have fun trick or treating!