Back in the day my favorite quick meal to make at home was a garbage quesadilla. What is a garbage quesadilla, you ask? Basically veggies and a veggie friendly protein stuffed into a tortilla with cheese (everything is better with cheese), fold the stuffed tortilla in half and brown in a pan on both sides. I am trying to not eat as many gluten products these days, so I have been making the heck out of Veggie Bowl-Ritos. What is a Veggie Bowl-Rito, you ask?Basically a healthier version of a veggie burrito minus the tortilla and rice. I have eliminated the tortilla and dump as much mexican goodness into a bowl as I can, and voilà you have a banging Bowl-Rito. You can really put whatever your little heart desires into this bad boy, but I will share with you what has been in my Bowl-Rito lately.
Makes about 2 Bowl-Ritos.
- 1/4 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 Cup Black Beans or Mexican Black Beans (recipe coming soon)
- 2-3 TBS of Sassy Sauce (secret ingredient)
- 1/2-1 Cup Fried Tofu or protein of choice
- 1/2 Cup Lightly Sautéed Kale (recipe coming soon)
- 1/4 Cup Sautéed Onions
- 1/4 Cup Sautéed Peppers
- 1/4 Cup Sautéed Broccoli
- 1/4 Tomatoes, diced or Homemade Pico de Gallo
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 Avocado, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Grated Cheese of your choice. Feel free to increase the cheese amount 🙂
- Cook your quinoa, beans, veggies and protein the way that you like it.
- In a bowl layer quinoa, then black beans and top them with a layer of the Sassy Sauce. The Sassy Sauce is the reason that I eat Bowl-Ritos…. 🙂
- Then add your tofu or protein of choice and then top that with your sautéed veggies.
- Top all of this magic with diced tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, grated cheese and another dollop of Sassy Sauce for good measure.
- Sometimes if I am feeling really spicy, I will top my Bowl-Rito with my favorite hot sauce (which is Cholula, but I am currently obsessed with Gringo Bandito.) If I am feeling spicy and a little sassy, I eat my Veggie Bowl-Rito with a small side of my favorite tortilla chips. I know the tortilla chips kind of defeat the no tortilla purpose…but sometimes I just can’t help myself.
If I am not trying a new restaurant or experimenting with something new in the kitchen, you can guarantee that I am eating Bowl-Ritos a few nights a week. Which might sound boring, but it makes me a happy camper, because the possibilities are endless.
*Note: If you want to make a Breakfast Bowl-Rito just add a fried or scrambled egg to this bowl of happiness, and you have the breakfast of champions. 🙂 I am getting hungry just thinking about it. Enjoy!
I was lucky enough to have this delicious dinner at Dani’s house 🙂 Sassy sauce is Amazing!!!
Thanks Alyson! You and Tyler are welcome to come over to my house for dinner anytime.